What is a Health Informatics Consultant?
A health informatics consultant is a support professional tasked with developing, maintaining and facilitating the usage of various medical records systems for the healthcare organization to which they are assigned. A health informatics consultant can expect to provide administrators with valuable data and analysis of data to be used in policy making. They will also work closely with IT staff to develop and implement computer records. It is not common that they would have direct interactions with patients in a caregiving setting.
The position of a consultant is unique in that these professionals are often hired by a healthcare facility for a specific project with a specific start and end date. This could be anything from training staff how to use the technology available or implementation of a record-keeping or analysis system.1
- • Identify deficiencies in hospital informatics standards and develop plans to improve processes.
- • Assess learning needs of hospital staff and develop training to improve employee knowledge
- • Participate in the development of health information technology protocols and policies to ensure compliance with regulations
- • Provide administrative/technical support to help troubleshoot and assist with problems faced by system users.2
These tasks may vary depending on the company or type of facility that you work for, examples include:
NYSTEC in Albany, NY: you will track communications with providers and hospitals, and prepare and distribute registry reports to inform the EHR Incentive Program3
ORS Partners in Conshohocken, PA: you will contribute to new product development by identifying gaps in current offerings as other priorities allow4
Aetna in Hartford, CA: you will develop strategic planning across different Medicare marketing campaigns including building targeting models, market sizing and contact strategy/test design5
Becoming a Health Informatics Consultant
A consulting position is unique in that usually both the employer and the employee understand that the employment will be for a specific and typically shortened amount of time. Because of this unique arrangement, employers are less likely to spend time training and developing and more likely to require a candidate to have extensive experience that is very similar to what the job entails.
Advanced computer skills and knowledge of networks are necessary in order to adequately carry out this job. Familiarity with healthcare software systems and Microsoft Office will also be needed. This position may require a bachelor’s degree and often a master’s degree in a field such as health informatics or computer science.2
The American Health Information Management Association reported in its 2012 Annual Survey that consultants earning the highest salaries in their work setting and saw the highest increase in their salaries (17%) from 2010 to 2012. It found the average salary to be just over $105,000 per year.6 Consulting offers exposure to multiple companies and often opportunities to be hired on for a full-time position if the consultant desires.
If you are interested in a career in health informatics, consider pursuing a degree in this field.
- Allen, G. (2013, April 22). Health Informatics: Job Description, Salary and Education. Retrieved August 2, 2016, from http://www.healthcaredailyonline.com/careers/health-informatics-job-description-salary-and-education
- http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Medical_Practice_Manager/Salary Health Informatics Specialist Salary (United States) United States Home Change Country Don't see what you are looking for?Get A Free Custom Salary Report ». (n.d.). Retrieved August 04, 2016, from http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Health_Informatics_Specialist/Salary
- Consultant, Informatics Analyst (Albany, NY). (n.d.). Retrieved August 04, 2016, from http://www.nystec.com/careers/consultant_informatics_analyst_albany_ny?utm_source=Indeed
- Consultant; Healthcare Informatics - ORS Partners | Jobs.com. (n.d.). Retrieved August 04, 2016, from http://job-openings.monster.com/monster/19603470-f794-4779-b028-c36771965c2d?mescoid=1500131001001
- (n.d.). Retrieved August 04, 2016, from https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/jobs.htm?suggestCount=0
- 2012 AHIMA Salary Survey. (n.d.). Retrieved August 2, 2016, from http://bok.ahima.org/PdfView?oid=107510